Monday, September 23, 2013

Log 2: Meditations on Psalm 42

As a deer pants for flowing streams, 
so pants my soul for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God.

I came across this verse in Psalm 42 tonight, and it really struck a chord with me. The passion from David's pen is remarkable! Water is a necessity of life; anyone who has ever experienced the anguish of prolonged thirst knows how much they desire it in that moment. The Psalmist compares the need for one of life's most base elements to his desire for God. To me, this beautifully illustrates how passionate his heart was for the Lord. How many of us can say we need God as much as we need water? Do we ever go a day without it? I know, for myself, there have been many days that I have neglected God's word, as well as prayer time with Him. Not proud of it! And yet, on those very same days, I never neglected to fill myself a glass of water.

Jesus Christ said, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matt. 4:4)

My meditation tonight is that nothing in life should bring me the satisfaction and fulfillment that Christ gives. Not work, hobbies, family, friends, entertainment, money, books, music, or any other thing. I have found myself often craving for these things more than I should; dedicating hours to friends or entertainment to the neglect of God and His word. It's truly a commitment and a continued growing process. As the Spirit moves in our lives, while we surrender our hearts to Him, He will slowly, miraculously, wondrously mold and shape all of our cravings. So that, we can boldly say with King David that God's word is our "meditation all the day." (Ps. 119:97)

No comments:

Post a Comment